Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Italian-Style Pot Roast

I made this yummy recipe the other night and it was delicious! Isaac really enjoyed it, and I like that it took me about 5 minutes to make. : ) Since my friend was looking for some good recipes, I thought if I was going to type it up, I might as well share with all of you! It's from a little boxed set of recipes available from avon (enter Belinda Perpall as your rep!). I made some adjustments per my taste, which I will put in parentheses next to the original amounts. I like lots of spices...

Italian-Style Pot Roast

2 tsp minced garlic (2 Tbl)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil (2 tsp)
1 tsp dried oregano (2 tsp)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (1 tsp)
1 boneless beef bottom round rump or chuck shoulder roast (about 2½ -3 pounds)
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced (I just used diced frozen ones that I always have on hand)
1½ Cups tomato-basil or marinara pasta sauce (I used plain tomato sauce that I added basil to.)
2 cans (15 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 C shredded fresh basil

1. Combine garlic, salt, basil, oregano and pepper flakes in small bowl; rub over roast.
2. Place half of onion slices into 3-7 quart Crock Pot slow cooker, cutting roast in half if necessary. Top with remaining onion and pour pasta sauce over roast. Cover; cook on LOW 8-9 hours or until roast is fork-tender.
3. Remove roast to cutting board; tent with foil. Let liquid in slow cooker stand 5 minutes to allow fat to rise. Skim off fat. (not sure how successful I was at this part.)
4. Stir beans into liquid. Cover; cook on HIGH 15 to 30 minutes or until beans are hot. Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Serve with bean mixture and fresh basil.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Hope you enjoy!